Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July - Independence Day

I remember as a child growing up, we celebrated the 4th by watching the local fireworks. My mom and dad would pack up the car and we sometimes would take some bagged popcorn with us to munch on. We would go toward our destination and park on the hill with others that parked there as well. We would wait for it to get dark and we would ask our parents, " When is it going to start?" We would always say it over and over. I'm sure that it annoyed them but they didn't show it. They told us it would be soon. (which to me seemed forever) But they always put on a good fireworks display. Then when I became a parent to 2 wonderful boys...we would take them down to the Fairgrounds and watch the display...they seemed much closer and you felt like they were going to land on you. There were years that they would bring in Hot Air Balloons over the 4th. We would take our boys down and watch them go up into the air and sometimes, if we were able to....we would follow them with our car. They would do this the whole weekend, weather permitting. Well I hope everyone has a Happy 4th of July this year. I am in Canada now, but I do have my memories of celebrating it as a child and as an adult.

2 comments:

A New England Life said...

To an American in Canada . . . Happy 4th of July, Debbi!

Sharon

Unknown said...

Someday you must write a book about all your memories and your life Debbi. It is like being transported to read your writing.
I love the music on your page, too!
xxoo
n and the pees
Pee Ess - happy belated Canada Day!